Mum’s horror account of being raped by soldier who followed her home from BBQ


A mum-of-one has shared her horrific account of being raped by a soldier after he followed her home from a BBQ.

Georgia Hinton, 26, from Livingston, Scotland, has bravely waived her anonymity to raise awareness of sexual abuse.

She met Serupepeli Niubasaga, 41, at her neighbour’s gathering in May 2018 but instantly deemed him a ‘creep’ after he wouldn’t stop staring at her.

Hours later, Georgia took her now six-year-old daughter home, only to find Niubasaga had followed her.

The monster raped Georgia downstairs while her daughter slept.

Georgia says he told her ‘you need to listen to me, the way you dress in my country would attract the wrong attention.’

She said he continued saying ‘men will take the way you look as an invitation’ before raping her.

In July 2020, Niubasaga was jailed for seven years for the twisted attack.

The pharmacy assistant says: “When I took my little girl to the BBQ that day, I had no idea what horrors lay ahead.

“I’m just glad I got my justice and he’s behind bars.”

In May 2016, Georgia met her now ex-wife.

Georgia says: “She was a Postal and Courier Operator in the Army.

“We fell in love and the following year, in July 2017, we got married.

“After that, we decided to move to the barracks so she could be closer to work.”

Two months later, in September 2017, Georgia and her daughter, then 3, from a previous relationship, moved to the Duke of Gloucester barracks, South Cerney, Gloucestershire.

Georgia says: “I soon met all of the Army wives and settled in.

“My daughter joined the nursery there and she made plenty of friends too.

“But as time went on, I began feeling quite isolated from the world.”

The next year, in 2018, Georgia’s marriage ended.

She says: “After we announced our split, my now ex-wife was assigned new quarters and moved out.”

Months later, in May 2018, Georgia dropped her daughter off at a neighbour’s house for a play date.

Georgia says: “When I picked her up, the neighbours said they were having a BBQ and invited me to join.”

Soon after, Georgia spotted soldier, Niubasaga.

Georgia says: “I recognised him. He was one of my daughter’s nursery friend’s dad.

“I’d seen him at the nursery and supermarket before, but we’d never spoken.

“Suddenly, he began to gawk at me. I immediately felt on edge.

“Then, he came over and introduced himself. But as we were chatting, he stared at my body.

“I realised he was a creep.”

Georgia quickly forced a smile, before telling Niubasaga she needed to top up her drink.

She says: “But Niubasaga stepped in front of me, blocking my way.

“He kept saying ‘Where are you going?’ and ‘Stay longer.’

“I sternly told him ‘No’, before joining my friends.”

But during the rest of the night, Georgia felt Niubasaga’s eyes on her.

By midnight, her daughter had fallen asleep.

Georgia says: “I said goodnight to everyone and carried her home.

“I walked upstairs and tucked her into bed.

“Suddenly, I heard a creak a behind me.

“I turned around and saw Niubasaga stood in the middle of the bedroom.

“My heart stopped. I realised he must’ve followed us home.”

Ignoring Georgia, Niubasaga walked up to her daughter’s bed and kneeled down.

Georgia says: “He whispered ‘Go to sleep’ and ‘Be a good girl for your mummy.’

“My little girl nodded, before drifting off.

“Petrified he’d hurt her, I calmly walked downstairs, hoping he’d follow me.”

Terrified, Georgia sat down on the sofa, in silence.

She says: “Niubasaga then kneeled down and said ‘You need to listen to me, the way you dress in my country would attract the wrong attention.’

“Then suddenly, he started fondling my breasts.

“He continued saying, ‘Men will take the way you look as an invitation.’

“I wanted to scream, but I was scared he’d hurt my daughter.

“So I quietly sobbed.

“Moments later, he pushed up my skirt, moved my underwear aside and raped me.

“I tried to kick him off but he pinned me down.”

Afterwards, Niubasaga left Georgia’s house without saying a word.

Georgia says: “I collapsed into a heap on the floor.

“Eventually I managed to ring a friend for help.

“I was hysterical.”

Three hours later, the police and Army welfare arrived.

The next day, Niubasaga was arrested.

Georgia says: “Army welfare kept saying how Niubasaga was innocent until proven guilty.

“I was horrified that they were defending him.

“After that, I suffered horrible flashbacks.”

The next week, Georgia and her daughter moved 200 miles away to live with Georgia’s family in Lowestoft, Suffolk.

The following year, in October 2019, the trial arrived but it was a hung jury.

Finally, in July 2020, Serupepeli Niubusaga, 41, of South Cerney, was found guilty of one count of sexual assault and one count of rape against Georgia at Bristol Crown Court.

He was jailed for seven years.

Georgia says: “I went through hell during the two trials.

“The defence ridiculed me as a mother for not taking my daughter away.

“Meanwhile, Niubasaga lied through his teeth, telling the jury that I raped him.

“But thankfully, I was believed in the end.

“Sadly, not many women have got justice like me though.

“More needs to be more done for sexual assault victims in the Army.”